Oncology massage therapy in Eastern Quebec
Helping people with cancer and their loved ones feel better
Did you know that massage therapy is possible in oncology? Every week, the Association du cancer de l’Est du Québec, in collaboration with certified and trained massage therapists, offers beneficial massages to people with cancer and their loved ones who are accompanying them. These massages are adapted to the reality of the disease to promote physical and psychological well-being during cancer.
To meet a wide range of needs, the Association has developed various components for its massage therapy service:
- In the oncology clinic, while chemotherapy treatment is administered
- Table (60 minutes) or chair (15 minutes) massages at the Cendrine and Philippe Wellness Center
- Table massages (60 minutes) in a private clinic (some areas only)
In each case, the massage therapist adapts their professional acts to suit each person, based on the nature and stage of the disease, intervention technique, respecting contraindications and the needs of the sick person for gentleness and company.
« Adapted massage therapy can do a world of good for cancer patients. It can improve a person’s performance status, boost their morale (which is so essential in the healing process), and improve their quality of life. For people undergoing treatment, it is entirely appropriate. »
Dr Jean-Pierre Guay, Radiation Oncologist
Centre hospitalier de l’Université de Montréal, Pavillon Notre-Dame
The benefits of oncology massage therapy
Massage therapy for people affected by cancer can provide many benefits.
- Promotes physical and psychological relaxation;
- Helps improve sleep, which often minimizes the side effects of treatments;
- Stimulates blood circulation in muscles that can become inactive due to immobilization;
- Decreases anxiety and pain;
- Is a way to look after yourself;
- Can improve self-esteem and increase your feelings of safety.
Massage therapy in oncology is another service offered for free by the Association du cancer de l’Est du Québec, thanks to the invaluable collaboration of specially trained certified massage therapists, and the massage therapy schools Équilibre et Détente Inc. and Arborescence Inc.
Frequently Asked Questions
How does massage therapy work in the oncology clinics?
If you are undergoing chemotherapy in one of the following oncology clinics, you can receive a free massage for about fifteen minutes while your treatment is administered:
– CISSS de la Gaspésie, Baie-des-Chaleurs facilities (Maria Hospital)
– CISSS de la Gaspésie, Côte-de-Gaspé facilities (Hôpital Hôtel-Dieu de Gaspé)
– CISSS de la Gaspésie, La Haute-Gaspésie facilities (Sainte-Anne-des-Monts Hospital)
– CISSS de la Gaspésie, Rocher-Percé facilities (Chandler Hospital)
– CISSS du Bas-Saint-Laurent, Kamouraska facilities (Hôpital Notre-Dame-de-Fatima)
– CISSS du Bas-Saint-Laurent, La Matapédia facilities (Amqui Hospital)
– CISSS du Bas-Saint-Laurent, Matane facilities (Matane Hospital)
– CISSS du Bas-Saint-Laurent, Rimouski-Neigette facilities (Rimouski Regional Hospital)
– CISSS du Bas-Saint-Laurent, Rivière-du-Loup facilities (Centre hospitalier régional du Grand-Portage)
– CISSS du Bas-Saint-Laurent, Témiscouata facilities (Notre-Dame-du-Lac Hospital)
– CISSS de la Côte-Nord, Manicouagan facilities (Le Royer Hospital) – temporarily suspended
– CISSS de la Côte-Nord, Sept-Îles facilities (Sept-Îles Hospital) – temporarily suspended
We have thought of everything to simplify your visits to the oncology clinics:
– No need to make an appointment, the massage therapist will come to you if they are on site the day you are receiving your treatment.
– Massages are given on site, during treatments.
– Each massage lasts about 15 minutes.
– People undergoing treatment answer a short questionnaire about the state of their health before the massage.
A huge thank you to the participating health centres and to TELUS for making this soothing service available to people affected by cancer in Eastern Quebec.
How does massage therapy work at the Cendrine and Philippe Wellness Centre or at a private clinic?
At the Cendrine and Philippe Wellness Centre
At the Cendrine and Philippe Wellness Centre, you can receive two types of massages: a free 15-minute chair massage or a 60-minute full-body massage for $25 + tax. Chair massages are performed over clothing, on parts of the body such as the head, shoulders, neck, arms. The full-body massages relieve and soothe.
Both types of massage are given by a massage therapist certified in oncology. They will inquire as to the patient’s state of health before beginning the massage and will adapt the massage to the patient’s situation. To make an appointment call 418 724-0600, extension 0, or 1 800 463-0806.
See the Association’s online calendar for the schedule of massages offered at the Cendrine and Philippe Wellness Centre.
In private clinics elsewhere in Eastern Quebec
In Sainte-Anne-des-Monts and La Pocatière, you can enjoy a 60-minute table massage at a private clinic, offered by certified oncology massage therapists for $26 + tx. The service is only available by appointment:
- In Sainte-Anne-des-Monts, contact Lina Sohier, massage therapist (418 763-8923)
- In La Pocatière, contact Sabrinie Fortin, massage therapist (418 856-1123)
Pour découvrir tous nos évènements, consultez notre calendrier!